What is TRAN-3?
In order to avail the transitional credit of Input Tax Credit, a registered taxpayer should file TRAN-3,
- Central Excise Act 1944
- Using CTD or having issued CTD.
A Credit Transfer Document (CTD) is a form which is issued by a manufacturer of goods, as an evidence of payment of Excise Duty on goods manufactured and cleared before 1st July. The goods must be cleared to a person not registered under Central Excise Act but is a registered trader under GST.
Who needs to file Form GST TRAN 3?
- Dealer who have received Credit Transfer Document (CTD) issued by Manufacturer
- Manufacturer who has issued CTD to dealers
What is the due date for filing TRAN-3?
Though the initial deadline for filing TRAN-3 was 60 days from the launch of GST however, to facilitate and ease the taxpayers, the utility is still active at the GST portal.
To fill information about Credit Transfer Document (CTD) in Form GST TRANS-3 form, perform the following steps:
- Login the GST Portal available at https://www.gst.gov.in/ using valid credentials of a registered taxpayer.
- Navigate to Service>Returns> Transition Forms command.
- In the Transition Forms Page, click on the TRAN-3 tab.
- Fill the details in the Form GST TRAN-3. Filling details include:
- Click on the “Add Details” button in the ‘To be filled by manufacturer issuing CTDs’ tile, the form will be displayed.
- In the To be filled by manufacturer issuing CTDs- Add page enter the details of GSTIN of the dealer to whom CTD is issued, Total number of CTDs issued, Number of invoices for which CTD is issued, Total quantity for which CTD is issued, Total value of goods for which CTD is issued., Recheck the details and then click on Save.
Note:- GSTN should be a validly registered dealer and the name of the dealer will be auto-populated by the system. For each dealer to whom CTD is issued, separate consolidated entry is to be made by the manufacturer.
- If you are a dealer and want to carry forward the received credit, fill in the following details. Recheck and click on Save.
- Recheck the details because once submitted they can’t be amended. To submit TRAN-3, click on the Submit button. Electronic ledger also gets updated based on the information filed in TRAN-3.
- Now, click on the “Proceed” button in the Warning Box. Form’s status gets changed to “Submitted” and a success message appears. Click on “FILE WITH DSC” or “FILE WITH EVC”, as the case may be.You will see the status as “Filed”, once the TRAN-3 is successfully received by the server.The status of your filed TRAN-3 can be checked at Services Returns Track Return Status.