What is GST E-Way Bill?
GST E-Way Bill is an electronically generated document which can be generated on the GSTN E-Way Bill Portal(common portal). A ‘movement’ of goods of more than Rs 50,000 from one place to another.
E-WayBill will also be allowed to be generated or canceled through SMS.
The implementation of e-way bills has been a matter of considerable deliberations in various GST Council’s meetings. In 24th meeting of the GST Council held on December 16, 2017, it was agreed that e-way bills trials would start from January 16, 2018 and mandatory implementation from February 01, 2018.
However, on Feb 1, 2018 the IT-platform set up to generate the e-way bills collapsed due to over load of 48 Lakh bills generated, which lead to postponement of the implementation.
When Should an E-Way Bill is generated
The E-WayBill under the GST regime is required to be generated by
- Every registered person who causes movement of Goods on consignment
- In relation to a supply(E.g. Sales) or
- For reasons other than supply (E.g Sales Return, Branch Transfer etc) or
- Due to inward supply from an unregistered person
- Every unregistered person who causes movement of Goods.
Here is a step-by-step guide to processing of generate E-Way Bill over Portal: