converting GST Network to govt company

Finance Ministry focusing the matters converting GST Network to govt company

Arun Jaitley (Finance Minister ) had previously in this month asked Finance Secretary Hasmukh Adhia to “examine the possibility” of move GSTN into a majority government company or a 100% government company.

NEW DELHI: The Finance Ministry focusing on the matters including complete procurement procedures and the salary structure of employees as part of the proposal to convert Goods And Service Tax Network (GSTN) into a government company.

These major two points, across with other transitional and operational nuances, would be placed prior to Union Cabinet for consideration once the GST Council clears the proposal of turning GSTN into a majority or fully-owned government entity, a source told PTI.

The Goods And Service Tax Network provides an IT backbone for the new indirect tax regime with the help of GSP’s And ASP’s.

converting GST Network to govt company

The Main five private financial institutions — HDFC, HDFC Bank, ICICI Bank, NSE Strategic Investment Co and LIC Housing Finance Ltd — hold 51 per cent stake in GSTN, which was incorporated on March 28, 2013, in the erstwhile UPA regime. The remaining 49% shares holding equally by the centre Goverment and states Goverments.

The current structure of GSTN where financial institutions hold the majority 51 per cent stake gives the entity flexibility in quick procurement through tendering process.

However, converting it into a government body would mean that process of buying — that currently occurs on a real-time basis — will have to be in sync with those of PSUs and state-owned companies, a source said.

Another aspect salary structure may play mejor role.

Right now, the employee pay scale is at par with those in the private sector, but transforming GSTN to a government entity would change that, the person privy to the development added.

These issues are currently being discussed by the officials within the Finance Ministry, the source said, adding the ministry is hopeful of a seamless transition given that the goods and services tax (GST) collections have stabilised over the last 9 months and businesses are familiar with the systems.

The government stake in GSTN was initially kept at 49 per cent and incorporated as a private company to “allow adequate flexibility and freedom” to “ensure timely implementation of the IT infrastructure” prior to the GST roll out.

GST, which subsumed over a dozen local Indirect taxes, was rolled out on July 1, 2017. more than 1 crore firms are registered over the GSTN portal. GSTN is a Section 8 company under the new Companies Act and hence is a not-for-profit entity.

The source said that there are no hindrances from the private shareholders in selling their stake to the government because GSTN is a non profiting body.

The Finance Ministry wants of making GSTN a wholly-owned company with 100% share holding, but a final call would be taken by the GST Council, headed by Jaitley and comprising state counterparts, in its next meeting.

After GST Council’s clearance, the proposal would go to the Union Cabinet.

Share It
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
Previous Post
Payment of Tax under GST
About GST GST BLOGS GST News Latest GST News

Payment of Tax under GST Process

Next Post
GST Filing simplification
About GST GST News Latest GST News

GST Filing simplification to be rolled out soon: Hasmukh Adhia